Longer days, endless BBQs, beach trips and warm evenings, who doesn’t love summer? With a jam-packed to-do list, it’s only fitting that we want to look and feel our best. Our handy guide gives you all you need for radiant summer-ready skin whilst keeping summer acne and shaving faux pas to a minimum!
Summer skincare for the face
In summer, our skin goes through a lot. Whether it’s being exposed to UV rays, dipping in and out of the salty sea, or being lathered in a range of SPF products, you might find that your skincare routine needs a little adjusting. Here are our top tips summer skincare:
- Wear SPF every day, even if it’s not sunny. This is because harmful UV rays can still penetrate through clouds and cause damage to your skin.
- Don’t forget to cleanse the skin to help prevent summer breakouts from appearing. Light formulations will help remove all the SPF and excess oil from your skin without stripping it and leaving it feeling dry.
- Opt for summer skin care products with vitamin C. This ingredient is a great way to get rid of pesky sunspots and reduce the appearance of uneven skin tone and hyperpigmentation.
- Moisturise daily! Even though it’s hot, our skin still needs hydration to keep the complexion looking healthy.
- Treat yourself to a face mask. After a long day at the beach, what could be better than applying a cooling face mask? It is the perfect way to restore moisture to the skin when it needs it most.
Summer skin is not always the easiest of tasks, especially if you’ve neglected your body care routine over the winter months. Those that choose to shave might also be put off by the oh-so-common ‘razor bumps’ curveball that can occur once the razor is called upon. We’re here to help you with how to overcome this and achieve the silky smoothness you’re after!
What are razor bumps?
Razor bumps are small, inflamed, raised areas of skin that can occur after shaving. They form when the hair curls back in on itself and becomes ingrown. Ouch!
How to prevent razor bumps:
- Swap out any old razors with newer ones.
- Soften the hair with warm water before shaving to allow the razor to glide over the hair effortlessly.
- Exfoliate the area to get rid of any dead skin cells clogging your follicles and causing ingrown hairs.
- Always use a shaving cream or gel to act as a buffer between your skin and the razor.
- Finish up with a moisturiser to bring hydration back to the skin and soothe any redness/irritation that may have occurred.
For more of the lowdown on razor bumps, check out our blog How to Stop Razor Bumps and Rashes When Shaving.
We all love a radiant, glowing complexion when it comes to summertime, but as we know, the UV rays from the sun are damaging to the skin. The best choice is to opt for a self-tanning product to achieve the summer skin you’re after. Not only is it a far safer alternative, but it’s also a quicker way to give you a glow that rivals any suntan! Whether you opt for a mousse, drops or even a gradual tan. Here are our top tips for summer tanning:
- Gently exfoliate your body before tanning to remove dead skin cells and promote even application.
- If you choose to shave, do it before applying the tan, not after.
- Choose a tan that works for your lifestyle and desired outcome. For a golden glow that’s ready to go, an instant tan that doesn’t need to be washed off could be the product for you! If you want more of a natural tan, a gradual tanner that slowly builds up will give you just that. For a deeper tan, a tanning mousse will reveal a beautifully bronzed glow once washed off, just don’t forget to use a tanning mitt to apply it.
- Be careful putting your tanning products for the body on your face, as this may cause a breakout. It’s best to opt for tanning products specifically formulated for facial use.
- Moisturise and then moisturise some more! Keeping your skin hydrated really is key in maintaining an even tan and preventing patchiness.
Prep your skin, ready for a summer of fun!
Shop face & body online at The Perfume Shop