Words: Elena Andreou
We’re proud to stock some of the world’s most acclaimed brands on our shelves. Not only do we - as experts - know about all the meticulously cultivated ingredients and inspiration that goes into each fragrance, but we also know plenty about the designer names behind the bottles too. And now it’s time for you to be in-the-know too! Introducing our brand new ‘behind the scents’ series, where we will explore some of the most globally renowned brands. First up, Dolce & Gabbana…
Dolce & Gabbana: The origin story
Before the ampersand joined together the D and the G and before Emilia Clarke sang ‘quando, quando, quando’ in The Only One campaign, two men in Milan were working hard at the same studio. Their names? Domenico Dolce and Stefano Gabbana. Fed up working as assistant designers for somebody else’s fashion brand, they decided to join forces to create a consultancy studio. Ta-da – the brand is born! After sending their first collection down the runway back in 1985, they haven’t looked back.
Dolce & Gabbana: Present Day
A brand that evolves each season but stays true to its core branding, Dolce & Gabbana has gone from strength to strength over the last few decades. Staying true to Sicilian roots with a penchant for elaborate prints, embroidery and sumptuous textures, the brand has redefined the parameters for Italian glamour. No longer exclusively a fashion house, Dolce & Gabbana have branched out into the arts (exhibitions, books) as well as accessories arena and of course, fragrance.
5 things you NEED to know about Dolce & Gabbana
- If you want to pronounce the name like they do in Italy then stop saying, Dol-chay and Gabb-arna, and say ‘Dol-che e Gabb-anna’.
- It’s hard to believe that such an aspiration, luxurious brand had humble beginnings. For the brand’s first runway show a bed sheet was used as the stage curtain and the designers called favours in with friends to act as models.
- The designer’s base their signature style by the 1960 cult classic ‘La Dolce Vita’ film.
- Dolce & Gabbana launched their first ever fragrance in 1992.
- The brand has designed stage costumes for the likes of Madonna, Beyonce and Kylie Minogue.