Words: Lauren Carbran
Adieu, autumn – welcome, winter! As we embrace the frosty weather and plan on Netflix-ing 24/7, it’s time to give our skin some much-needed attention. Yes, the clocks have gone back, and the wind, rain and cold mean you’re more likely to have issues of skin dryness, redness and sensitivity. Damn!
But help is at hand because Clinique For Men skincare is now available at The Perfume Shop. The range is designed to give men a tailored grooming solution, leading to healthier skin – and proving that you don’t have to break the bank to switch up your skincare… we want in.
Wonder why your skin changes in winter? Well, the brutally cold weather leads to layers of dead cells building up on the skin’s surface, making it dry, clogging pores, and causing cracked lips and breakouts. The good news? There is hope for male skincare buffs.
Our top winter skincare tips? Opt for toner to replenish cells and remove the old ones, aftershave balm to hydrate the skin (ultra-important in winter) and an SPF to prevent exposure to UVA rays (even in winter), which cause wrinkles and dark spots.
OUR TOP SKINCARE PRODUCTS TO GET YOU THROUGH WINTER
CLINIQUE FOR MEN ALOE SHAVE GEL
This aloe-rich gel is essential to every man’s shaving routine. It’s the ultimate winter multitasker, softening and cushioning the face and beard, and helping prevent redness and breakouts, too.
CLINIQUE FOR MEN CHARCOAL FACE WASH
Making it easier to hop out the door feeling fresh on dark mornings, this natural charcoal face wash draws out dirt and excess oil and helps soften beards. Use it morning and night for a skin transformation like no other.
CLINIQUE FOR MEN OIL CONTROL EXFOLIATING TONIC
Oily T-zone? No man should be without this tonic, which gently exfoliates the skin for an all-round clearer complexion. Say hello to your new skincare saviour.
CLINIQUE FOR MEN SPF21 MOISTURIZER
Come rain or shine, SPF skincare will protect you from the sun’s UVA rays, which can damage the skin. This moisturiser brings a sense of balance to your regime, hydrating and strengthening the skin with its lightweight oil-free formula, which will leave you stroking your face without even realising it.
CLINIQUE FOR MEN 2 IN 1 SKIN HYDRATOR & BEARD CONDITIONER
Skincare gurus come in all shapes and sizes – so say hello to your new one. It revitalises your skin while softening and taming your beard. Use it whenever you feel like it.
CLINIQUE FOR MEN ACTIVATED WATER GEL CONCENTRATE
Rave reviews and incredible results make this water-gel concentrate a best-seller. Its innovative Liquid-Sphere technology reduces dryness, tackles environmental impact on skin and helps to keep skin moisturised for up to 24 hours. So, if you’re the kind of guy who worries about the impact the pollution of the daily commute has on your skin, this one’s for you.
CLINIQUE FOR MEN EYE CREAM
If dark circles and puffiness around the eyes are a concern for you, opt for this award-winning anti-ageing eye cream. Bring an instant sense of calm by applying it to your ring finger and gently patting around the eye. Voila.
CLINIQUE FOR MEN EXFOLIATING POWDER CLEANSER
Need a quick, easy way to remove dirt from your face? This powder cleanser gives you a super-cleanse, leaving you with smooth, polished skin that you’ll want to show off to all your mates. Take our word for it, it’s a winter must-have.
CLINIQUE FOR MEN DEODORANT ROLL-ON
Bursting with freshness, this roll-on deodorant will shield you against sweat and body odour, so you can get on with your day without a worry. It doesn’t leave marks on dark clothes, either. We’re big fans.
CLINIQUE FOR MEN AGE REPAIR STARTER KIT
Looking for an anti-ageing skincare kit you can travel with? This starter kit is a no-brainer, with a 30ml face wash, 60ml cream shave and 15ml anti-age moisturiser. And while travelling can make your skin dull and dry, we’re calling these our hand-luggage saviours.
LOOKING FOR AN ADDED SENSE OF CALM THIS WINTER? GET TO KNOW MINDFULNESS
Whether you’re a mindfulness maven or a starter, everyone can benefit from practising mindfulness during their daily skincare routine.
Meditation teacher Vanessa Kandiyoti defines mindfulness as ‘being completely connected to the present moment, free of judgement, and understanding what’s happening around you’. The stance of being in the here and now has been found to reduce feelings of stress and improve physical and mental wellbeing.
And mindfulness really does work. The Headspace app, which currently ranks fourth in the health and fitness sector of the Apple App Store, offers guided meditations, articles and videos to target stress and anxiety. A Headspace study found that after only 10 days, users of the app reported a reduction of stress by 14%.
And while we often struggle for time in the day to relax, your skincare routine is the prime time to start practising mindfulness – especially in winter, when the lack of natural light can make us feel drowsy and fatigued.
HOW TO INCORPORATE MINDFULNESS INTO YOUR SKINCARE ROUTINE
1. Use warm water: This opens your pores and is a great way to start your skincare mindfulness routine. It brings warmth and comfort to body and mind on a cold and dreary morning.
2. Slow things down: Let your skincare routine be more of a treat than a chore, by taking a little extra time to apply the product onto your skin using circular motions. This allows you to focus on the present moment – and your skin will benefit from a more thorough cleanse.Win, win.
3. Breathe deeply: Enhance the present moment by breathing deeply as you apply your products. Take a deep breath from your lower stomach through your nose, counting from 1-5 (or whatever feels natural), and exhale for the same amount of time. Repeat this for 3-5 minutes. While you’re inhaling, enjoy the smell of the skincare products on your face, and enjoy the feelings of relaxation and awareness.
4. Give yourself a DIY massage: Yes, see your bathroom as your new massage man cave. Alternate between a few facial massage techniques using cleansers, moisturisers and gels: you could circulate around your jaw, allowing the tension to be released, or target your forehead and temples if you suffer from headaches. When applying eye cream, gently sweep your hands in a circle from your eyebrow bone to underneath your eye. Massaging the area around the inner cheekbones can lift and firm the area, too. It’s really what feels right for you. ‘Your cream will create a wonderful sensation on your face, which infuses your skin and also relaxes your mind and body,’ says Vanessa.
FANCY A FREE CLINIQUE FOR MEN TRAVEL KIT?
When you buy any Clinique For Men product from The Perfume Shop, you'll also receive a travel kit to keep your skin nourished and refreshed when you're on the go.
The travel kit contains:
- Clinique For Men™ Face Wash Regular Strength 30ml Tube
- Clinique For Men™ Face Scrub 15ml Tube
- Clinique For Men™ Aloe Shave Gel 41ml Can
- Clinique For Men™ Super Energizer Anti-Fatigue Hydrating Concentrate SPF 40 NEW 15ml Tube
- Clinique for Men™ Anti-Age Eye Cream 7ml Tube
- Includes clear bag ideal for travelling
BROWSE ALL CLINIQUE FOR MEN PRODUCTS
Get ready for incredible skin all year round.