Words: Emily Venables
When it comes to guiding you to your dream scent, we know our stuff as the experts in fragrance, but we also know a thing or two about the brands behind the bottles too! In the second instalment of our ‘Behind the Scent’ series, we’re looking into the history of one of the world’s most iconic fashion brands, Gucci, founded by the legendary Guccio Gucci. So, next time someone asks about the beautiful Gucci fragrance you are wearing, you can confidently reply “It’s Gucci, darling, but did you know…”
Gucci: The Origins
Long before Gucci was one of the world’s biggest fashion houses, Guccio Gucci was working in The Savoy in London. Spending his days watching travellers come and go through the hotel doors with their exquisite luggage, Guccio decided that he wanted to be a part of that world. Heading back to Florence with a dream of combining elegance, fine craftsmanship and well sought-after materials, he founded Gucci in 1921, unaware that he’d just opened the doors to what would be one of the most demand fashion houses of all time.
Gucci: Present day
Today, with their opulent and ornate designs, Gucci remains one of the most influential names in luxury fashion, but it is no longer run by the Gucci family. After Guccio’s untimely death in 1953, the Gucci brand fell under the watchful eye of his sons and grandsons. During this time, they opened stores around the world and in 1974, they released their first ever fragrance - Gucci No. 1 for Women. At the helm today is creative director Alessandro Michele who has rejuvenated the brand’s global image and continues to drive Gucci as one of the world’s most desirable luxury fashion brands.
5 things you may not know about Gucci
- The infamous ‘double G’ logo was founded in the 1960s.
- Tom Ford, the infamous American fashion designer, was creative-director at Gucci in the mid-90s.
- Maurizio Gucci, grandson of Guccio Gucci and former head of Gucci, sold his stock in 1993 for $170 million but was gunned down 18 months after by a hired hit man. His wife was later convicted of his murder and spent 16 years in prison!
- Gucci has committed to go fur-free from 2018.
- Fashion not your thing, but interiors are? Gucci recently launched their first home-décor range including an eclectic collection of candles, cushions mugs and table wear - so your house can be oh so in fashion too.
Our favourite Gucci scents
Ready to find out more?
Find your perfect Gucci scent at The Perfume Shop